Thursday, June 2, 2011

Living - Whatchya Got Cookin?! Crockpot Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce!

This isn't the best picture.  So much yummier than it looks here!
I am completely loving the recipe I put together that I am about to share with you for Crockpot Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce!  As a young girl, I was able to walk to my Mom's garden and grab stalks of rhubarb right from the plant and enjoy a quick snack.  But of course there were always yummy recipes Mom would throw together for a yummy and tastey treat.  I was kind of missing the rhubarb recently and I posted to my personal Facebook page about my memories of enjoying a quick walk to grab a stalk and a dear friend offered me some rhubarb!  I cannot tell you how EXCITED I was! 

I wanted to make a great snack for the kids so they could also learn to enjoy rhubarb as I did as a young girl.  So I made a sauce (similar to applesauce)!  And turns out, the kids LOVE it!  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

This sauce can be used for many things:
*Simply eat a bowl of it - Yummo!
*Drizzle over a pound cake, white cake, etc
*Drizzle over ice cream or blend up a shake

The batch below is a nice sizeable batch and you can increase or decrease based on your supply of rhubarb.  You can purchase rhubarb in the produce section at your local grocery store and I have read that you can purchase it in the freezer section (new to me)??

What you need:
12 cups sliced and chopped rhubarb
3-4 cups sliced strawberries
1 cup water
3/4 - 1 1/4 cup sugar

This is what I did:
Add sliced rhubarb and sliced strawberries to crockpot.  Pour 1 cup water over top. 
Cook on low heat for 3-4 hours. 
Add sugar to taste.  (I like mine a little more tart, so I add as little sugar as possible)
Slowly stir mixture until rhubarb and strawberries break down to consistancy you want.
Let cook 1/2 hour longer.

Enjoy!

I froze servings in baggies as well, so we can enjoy more later! :-)

Want to see more 'Whatchya Got Cookin?! recipes?!  Go over here.

Please send me your frugal and fun recipes and yours may just be highlighted on the blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment