Thursday, February 10, 2011

Living - Whatchya Got Cookin'? Article #4 - Cheesy Sausage Eggs!

Because of the awesome sale on Farmland Sausage starting tomorrow at HyVee, I thought it would be fitting to do a recipe including sausage. 

Here is a recipe that left me thinking, 'well, why didn't I think of that?!'  We were visiting my aunt and uncle this past Fall and my aunt had planned on making us an egg bake for the next morning, however we ended up taking all of the bread along with us to the State Capitol lake to feed the ducks.  So needless to say she was left to improvise.  So thanks to my aunt, my family now has an easy, yummy and inexpensive meal that is so versitile.  We use this recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner! 

Cheesy Sausage Eggs

You will need:
1 roll of sausage, cooked and drained
2 eggs per person (this is just the guage I use)
1/2 bag of shredded sharp cheddar cheese (or favorite flavor)
Salt and pepper to taste

What you do:
Cook and drain the sausage, as indicated above.

Scramble the eggs and add salt and pepper to taste. 

Once scrambled add the cooked sausage, mix in and then add the cheese.  Let cheese melt.  Serve.

The approximate overall cost for family of 4:
8 eggs = $1
1 roll sausage = $1.50 (me - tomorrow $.45!)
1/2 bag cheese = $1 (me $.60)
= $3.50 or $.88 each!

A few notes:
*I typically only add 3/4 roll sausage to my eggs and save the remaining 1/4 cooked sausage for pizza later that week.  Or I throw the cooked sausage in the freezer for a later time.
*I like to place my egg meal on paper towel before serving just to remove any additional grease that the sausage brings out in the last step of cooking.  This may just be my personal preference but thought I would share.
*There is normally a decent size serving left over so that the kids can eat it for breakfast later that week as well.

For additional recipes that have been shared, please go here.

Have a family friendly and frugal recipe?  Please send it my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment