Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Saving - Sioux Falls: HyVee Colorado Peach Lugs $16 + Vanilla Peach Syrup Recipe!

Sioux Falls HyVees have lugs of Colorado peaches on sale through Tuesday for just $16.  The ad indicates it is a 16 lb lug, so basically $1 per pound.  Nice price.

I picked up a lug today and enjoyed a tastey treat this afternoon!  Yum! 

I had planned making french toast for supper tonight, but forgot that we were low on syrup.  A light bulb went off and I decided to try a peach syrup (which I have never made before).  I came up with a super easy version and it went over very well with the fam.

Here is what I did (note that many of the other recipes I looked at called for several different ingredients and more sugar. I wanted something basic for items on hand and to reduce the sugar).

2 peaches, skin removed cut in chunks and then placed in the blender on puree
1/2 c water
1/8 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)

Mix first 3 ingredients together in sauce pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Remove from heat and add vanilla, mixing well.  Let cool before serving.  (And to be honest, I tried it before I added the vanilla and it was super tastey, but I thought what the heck.  I am torn on what I will do next time. lol.)

This was such a super easy syrup that I was able to get it started before beginning supper, but allowed time for it to continue simmering while cooking the french toast and there was just enough time for it to cool for serving!  I love when a supper comes together!

No comments:

Post a Comment