Monday, May 28, 2012

Living - Red White & Blue Treats!

I found these fantastic star shaped ice cube trays at the Dollar Tree last week for, well a dollar.

I knew they would create all sorts of fun, so I grabbed a couple.

The kids and I decided to make some red, white and blue treats for Memorial Day.  It gave us an opportunity to talk about the holiday as well.

We used simple ingredients and the process was super easy.  If you prefer, you could make these with any ol' ice cube tray.  Or make them larger by using a muffin tin.

Items needed:
blueberries
strawberries, cut in small pieces
yogurt (we used vanilla)
tootpicks

What to do:
Place yogurt in each star opening, leaving just a bit of room to add the fruit.  For these we found it easiest to put the toothpick through the blueberry and then place it in the yogurt.  Then we added a small piece of strawberry by gently pushing it down into the yogurt.  If your tray openings are larger you can add more fruit.  Place trays in freezer.  The stars froze within about an hour.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. You are soo good. I will have to try these just for myself as a healthy snack as no little ones around anymore.

    ReplyDelete