Monday, May 7, 2012

Living - Headboard Re-Do For My Little Superhero!

Sometimes saving money at my house means getting a little creative and having a little fun! 

Up until recently, our kids shared a room.  Now that my son has his own room, I wanted to be able to make it less 'girly' and give him his own little space to be proud to have. We are in the process of getting our house ready to put on the market, so our decorating options are limited.

Alex is a huge superhero fan and I wanted a way to incorporate this into his interim bedroom.

So, I decided to make him a superhero headboard!  And here is how I did it for about $30!

I took an old headboard that we had on hand and sanded it down.

Then I painted it.  (And then I had to fix a crack in it and paint it again - after it fell over in the wind....oh how sad I was....but it did turn out nice anyway.)  I chose a nice grey, thinking this was a color that could grow with him.

And the fun part.  We added superhero wall clings to it, Alex getting to choose where he wanted them!  (Purchased 2 sets of wall clings at Menards, each at $9.99 each.)

The fun (and frugal) part is that after he is beyond superheros, the clings can easily be removed from the headboard.  We can add different clings or leave it plain!  It really turned out nice and he is SO proud of it!  And to think we were going to toss this headboard! *smile*

To add to the decorations in his room, I took the framed pictures down that were already in the room.  I took out the pictures and added superhero wall clings in the frames!  Super fun decor, that is mobile, that our potential buyers do not have to be concerned about whether they will come off the walls or not!  And believe it or not, we still have several extra wall clings leftover.  What to do next?!

1 comment:

  1. You did an awesome job on that headboard! Lucky little boy! I can see why Alex is so proud of it.

    ReplyDelete