Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Living - Crockpot Egg Bake!

This is my finished product!
I was completely excited when I crossed paths with a "pin" on Pinterest for a recipe for, get this, Crockpot Egg Bake!  Now seriously, why hadn't I thought of that?!  Put everything together before you go to bed, turn on the crockpot and have breakfast waiting for you when you get up!

The original recipe I found is here, however I made some changes to the recipe to use items we had on hand.

This recipe is great for using up leftover ham from your upcoming Easter dinner or if you have company coming and want a simple breakfast to serve them!

Here is the recipe I used:

1 1/2 cups ham, cubed
1 bag hashbrowns 12-16 oz
12 eggs
1 cup milk (I used skim)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder (can use chopped onions)
2 cups cheese
1/2 red pepper chopped

Spray inside of crock pot (I did not do this and there were spots that were stock on, but not bad).
Whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper and onion - set aside
Place hashbrowns in bottom of crock pot.
Sprinkle 1/2 ham over top of hashbrowns
Sprinkle 1/2 cheese over top
Sprinkle with red pepper
Sprinkle remaining ham and then cheese over top
I only used the peppers on 1/2 of the bake, as the kids do not care for them.
Pour egg mixture evenly over top
Cook on low for 7-8 hours
Enjoy!

Notes:
I did my first batch for supper so that I could guage the timing.  I let mine cook in the crockpot for 7 1/2 hours and I did not touch it once.  There was one corner of the egg bake that had a little burnt cheese on the edge that touched the crockpot, otherwise it turned out exceptionally well.  My favorite part, my kids devoured it!  No complaints, no disgusted looks just quiet, happy mouths! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment